Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" Youtube Video Review

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

A Youtube video to review today? Duh!

Ever since I was introduced to this video through WatchGirlsPlay's React video, I was curious about the video. It seems to mock kid shows like Sesame Street, but there's also some weird shenanigans on the horizons- but they give them to you in such an unpresided way.
Interestingly enough, this video is at least 3 years old on Youtube with over 23 million hits; and the video had spawned two sequels to date.
So why are people blown away by this video phenomenon? Well, let's look at the Youtube video Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

Opening Scene:
The video wastes no time starting...

or maybe it does.


-We get to stare at random house objects for 20 seconds. Oooh...
And then we get our main characters...

who's names we may never know in this video... who are sitting at a kitchen table just chilling until...

Writing Pad: (singing) "What's your favorite idea?"
-Whoa. That came out of nowhere. And even the puppet characters are shocked to see inanimate objects talking to them. Well, to be fair, if this is supposed to be a parody of Sesame Street, then go right ahead.

Musical Number:
Yellow Guy: "How do you get the idea?"
Writing Pad: (singing) "I just try to think creatively. Now when you look at this orange, tell me please, what do you see?"
Crow: "It's just a boring old orange."

Writing Pad: (singing) "Maybe to you, but not to me."
-This is identical to Sesame Street. That's the one thing that you can compare this to, is Sesame Street. The shows are identical.
-In fact, the characters themselves seem like Sesame Street rejects.

-Now let's go back to that orange...
Writing Pad: (singing) "I see a silly face walking along, smiling at me."

-The animation is just as cheap as the set-up and characters. Then again, it's not so bad. At least there was still effort put into this thing.
Crow: "I don't see what you mean."
Writing Pad (singing): "'Cause you're not thinking creatively."

-Geez! Have patience on a person that's trying to learn all this stuff!
Writing Pad (singing): "So take a look at my hair."

-You have no hair, except a wad of colorful string that someone decided to superglue to your pages.
Writing Pad (singing): "I use my hair to express myself."
-Then actually do something with it, like braid it, curl it... no? That's creativity with hair for you.

So then we're taken to the window with our characters (for some reason), and the Writing Pad tells them to use creativity there.
Writing Pad (singing): "Now when you stare at clouds..."
-Do our characters understand creativity now?

The Three Puppets: "I can see a hat. I can see a cat. I can a man with a baseball bat..."
-Uh, that's fun and all, but can y'all do something a little more artsy?

-(sarcasm)By the way, that crow looks pretty invested by all this talk of creativity.
Yellow Guy: "I might paint a picture of a clown."

-There it is! Something artsy!
Writing Pad: (singing) "Whoa there, friend! You might need to slow it down!"

(black paint or sludge drips onto the painting for a few seconds)
-What the hell? That was art right there! What, that's not allowed in your so-called creativity? That's really bad when trying to teach kids about creativity.

Writing Pad: (singing) "Here's another good tip..."
-And the video goes on without explaining why the Yellow Guy's art had to be vandalized by the black paint/sludge. That was awkward... and so random!

Anyway, the Writing Pad goes on to have the friends collect sticks to spell out some words, specifically names of colors.

Hairy Red Guy: "Blue."

Crow: "Red."

Yellow Guy: "Green."

Writing Pad: (singing) "Green is not a creative color."
-What? Of course green is a creative color! Unless you're wanting the friends to pick out the major colors (red, blue, and yellow), then you are out of your mind! So far, this writing pad is rude!
Then the Writing Pad goes on to explain the essential to "think creatively."
-By the way, I'm simply going to call the pad a Writing Pad, because this video doesn't give us names.
Writing Pad: (singing)

"Listen to your heart.

Listen to the rain.

Listen to the voices in your brain."
-The heart and brain part, I understand. But listening to the rain to think creatively? Anyone want to try that, or has tried it?
Writing Pad: "Come on, guys! Let's get creative!"

-I don't know about you guys, but that writing pad seems so sketch! Call her a sketch pad! Or [fill in your own pun at the comments section below].

"Creative" Mode

So the characters get into "creative" mode and...

(the character takes the time to spaz into animation mode until returning to live-action)

-Huh?
(a heart sitting on a surface)
-Wait... was that a...?!
(characters dancing wildly)

-Wait. What?!
(the sky turning stormy outside their window, while violin solo sounds more and more erratic)

-Okay, who put LSD in this video?
(the characters cutting a cake)

-Now they're having a cake...?
(flesh exposed inside the cardboard cake)
-Eew! What?!
(one of the characters spelling out the word "death")

-Really?!
-I'm sorry, but for those of you with a heart condition, stop reading or scroll down to the consensus part of this review... even though I'm not going to put up pictures of the gruesome details.

Ending:

Well, after that... scariness, we see that all is calm, and the characters are at the table, just like at the beginning. Then our sketchy sketch pad ends with a... Just take a listen to this.

Writing Pad: (singing) "Now let's all agree to never be creative again..."
(the pad falling flat abruptly)

End Credits:

As the credits roll, we see the same black paint/sludge pouring from a mouse hole, while an erratic oboe/clarinet solo plays out.

-(mimicking creators of this video) We gotta spew out randomness one more time!

And that was... an awkward video that I've ever came across on Youtube. Now, to say the least, I think the video is addictive yet still odd.
This felt like something that you would find in a Creepypasta realm on the Internet. It has that shock value that either worked to the video's advantage or didn't. In this case, that was forced.
Now, be warned, parents. This video would NOT be suitable for kids, because it might trick you into thinking that it's something like Sesame Street, but isn't. I think, though, the intended audience for this video is people that are either addicted to violence, addicted to weird and crazy stuff on Youtube, or both. As for me, I came across worse on Youtube.
So, for what it is, I don't think that this video is the worst thing that's ever happened. There's just that awkwardness that turned into disturbing imagery. Again, I've seen worse.
Now answer me this: why is the video called Don't Hug Me I'm Scared? I don't think the video itself explains that.

Whatsoever Critic
Source: Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

Courtesy: This Is It (www.thisisitcollective.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment